St Catherine, Somerset
Catherine, St, a parish in Somersetshire, on the verge of the county, 3½ miles WNW of Box railway station, and 3½ NE by N of Bath. Acreage, 1041; population of the civil parish, 112; of the ecclesiastical, 1837. The manor belonged to the abbots of St Peter's, Bath, and their residence, an edifice of 1495, with a porch added in the time of Charles L, is still standing. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Batheaston, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £303, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford. The church was built about the same time as the abbot's residence, and contains a carved pulpit, a Norman font, and an altar-tomb of 1631.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Catherine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Catherine, St.)
Online maps of St Catherine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.