Bickington, a parish in Devonshire, on the Lemon rivulet, 3½ miles NE of Ashburton, and 3 from Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot; money order and telegraph office, Ashburton. Acreage, 1403; population, 230. The surface abounds with large limestone rocks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £222. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is an old edifice, with square tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1884. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbot|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Bickington from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Bickington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bickington)
Online maps of Bickington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.