Pill, a village and a chapelry in Easton-in-Gordano parish, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, about 2 miles from King Road and Avonmouth. It has a station on the G.W.R., 126 miles from London, and 5 NW of Bristol; is the Bristol pilot station, inhabited chiefly by pilots, captains of steamboats, and other sailors; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bristol. The chapelry was constituted in 1861. Population, 1725. Ham Green House Is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was built in 1860, and is a cruciform edifice in the Decorated English style, with a bell-turret. There are Wesleyan, Congregational, and Baptist chapels, a seamen's mission and free library.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Pill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.