North Newton, Somerset
Newton, North, an ecclesiastical parish in Somerset, 2 miles from Durston station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, North Petherton. Population, 750. Maunsell House is an ancient mansion in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £150 with residence. The church of St Peter was rebuilt in 1884, and is an edifice in the Early English style. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||North Petherton|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Newton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton, North)
Online maps of North Newton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.