UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kingsdon, Somerset

Historical Description

Kingsdon, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the river Cary and the Fosse Way, 2½ miles N of Ilchester, and 6 W of Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and has a post and telegraph office under Taunton; money order office, Ilchester. Acreage, 2329; population, 294. Kingsdon Hill commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £255 with residence. The church was originally Norman, of which the string-course remains on the outside of the N transept. The font is Norman; later windows Perpendicular. The effigies of a Knight Templar is said to be that of Gray Bryan, who was imprisoned at the last Crusade and ransomed by the sale of the Somerton estate. The transept was evidently the knight's mortuary, as witness the piscina. The rector, named Johannes Dotin, in 1560 was also the head of Exeter College, Oxford, the record of which is on a brass plate over the chancel door.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishKingsdon All Saints 
HundredSomerton 
Poor Law unionLangport 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kingsdon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Kingsdon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA11
Post TownSomerton