Axmouth, a village and a parish in Devon. The village stands at the mouth of the river Axe, under Hawksdown Hill, 6 miles SSW of Axminster, and 1 mile from Seaton station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Axminster; money order and telegraph office, Seaton. Acreage, 4244; population, 615. A coastguard station, with houses for the chief officer and the men and their families, was erected in 1883. A harbour here gave refuge, in ancient times, to vessels under stress of weather; was much improved in the early part of the 17th century, but is now disused. A range of cliffs extending hence east-north-eastward to Lyme-Regis has been remarkably subject to landslips. A great landslip occurred on the 25th December, 1839, destroying two cottages and 45 acres of fine arable land, and forming a chasm 300 feet or more broad, 150 feet deep, and ½ of a mile long; and another, of much smaller extent, occurred on the 3rd February, 1840. The parish comprises 4533 acres of land, and 190 of water. The manor was given by Rivers, Earl of Devon, to the Abbey of St. Mary, Mountbarrow, in Normandy; passed, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to the Abbey of Sion; went, at the final dissolution of monasteries, to Catherine, queen of Henry VIII.; was granted, in 1552, to Walter Erie, Esq.; passed from him to Sir W. Yonge; was purchased, in 1691, by R. Hallet, Esq., and in 1890 by S. Sanders Stephens, Esq., who now resides at Stedcombe Manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180. The church consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, which is Norman; is Early English and Perpendicular, but has an Anglo-Norman doorway and some wildly grotesque gargoyles, and contains monuments of the Eries and the Halletts.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Axmouth from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Axmouth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Axmouth)
Online maps of Axmouth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.