Awliscombe, a village and a parish in Devon. The village stands near the river Otter, 2 miles WNW of Honiton station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Honiton, which is the meney order and telegraph office, and an annual fair was formerly held here. The parish comprises 2626 acres; population of the civil parish, 497; of the ecclesiastical, 498. The manor was given in 1491, by Thomas Calwodeley, to the corporation of Exeter, but comprised then only 203½ acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church, an interesting specimen of the Perpendicular style, consists of nave, chancel, S transept, and N aisles, has a beautiful carved stone screen, and a tower, and was restored in 1887. Thomas Charde, the last abbot of Ford, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Awliscombe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Awliscombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Awliscombe (St. Michael))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Awliscombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.