Aveton Gifford, Devon
Aveton-Gifford, a village and a parish in Devon. The village stands on the river Avon, 3½ miles NW of Kingsbridge, and 7 S of Kingsbridge Road station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. It was anciently a market-town. The parish comprises 3948 acres; population of the civil parish, 796; of the ecclesiastical, 793. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Gifford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £667. The church is Early English and cruciform, with central tower, one of the finest old churches in South Devon, and has been much restored and improved. There are chapels for Baptists, Methodists, and Bible Christians.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aveton-Gifford St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aveton Gifford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aveton-Gifford (St. Andrew))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Aveton Gifford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.