UK Genealogy Archives logo

Highbridge (Burnham), Somerset

Historical Description

Highbridge, a town in Burnham parish, Somerset. The town lies on the river Brue, and has stations on the G.W. and Somerset and Dorset railways, 146 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 1769. It became a seat of considerable trade after the opening of the railway; acquired great increase of houses, with shops and inns; and has now several good hotels, a commodious market-house, a large town-hall, masonic lodge, two banks, and a well-attended market for cheese, country produce, and cattle, on the first Monday of every month. Brick and tile making are carried on, and the Somerset and Dorset railway company have some large locomotive works; there are also some extensive timber and coal yards. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £300 with residence. The church is modern; was erected at the expense of Mrs H. Luttrell, and is handsome and spacious; it was considerably enlarged in 1883. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Civil parishBurnham 
HundredBempstone 
Poor Law unionAxbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Highbridge (Burnham) from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Highbridge (Burnham) are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountySomerset

Burnham on Sea