Henton, a village in the parish of Wookey, Somerset. It lies near the Mendip Hills, about 2 miles from Wookey station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Wells; money order and telegraph office, Wells. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 412. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wella; gross value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was built in 1847. There is a Bible Christian chapel. There was a libera capella or free chapel at Henton. This was dedicated to St Thomas. It was utterly demolished at the time of the destruction of the religious houses in the reign of Henry VIII.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Henton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.