Hendford, an ecclesiastical parish in Somerset, formed out of the parish of Yeovil, of which town for civil purposes it forms a part. The town-hall is in the parish of Hendford, as also is the railway station (on the L. & S.W. and G.W. Joint line), and the goods station of the G.W.R. It was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1846. Population, 4343. Newton Somerville, Hendford House, Hendford Manor House, Alden House, and several other important houses are situated in this parish. The living is a vicarage in the. diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Bishop and the Crown alternately. The church is a modern building in the Early English style of architecture. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are also extensive nurseries.
The register of Holy Trinity dates from the year 1846.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
Holy Trinity church, in Peter street, consecrated in 1846, is a large building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, north porch, and a turret containing one bell: there are seven stained lancet windows, a stained window, placed in 1897, by Miss Greenham, and another erected in 1902 to commemorate the conclusion of the war in South Africa: in 1896 the chancel walls were decorated and a wrought iron chancel screen erected: the screen was completed in 1906 by an extension on one side in memory of Mr. Robert Damon and on the other side in memory of Mr. John Newman, the first churchwarden: in 1897 a fine carved oak reredos with five painted panels, representing the "Crucifixion," and the four Evangelists, was erected: in 1906 a five-light stained window was placed in the south transept in memory of Mr. Robert Damon (churchwarden for 18 years) by his brother, the subject being "The Four Evangelists": an organ was erected in 1908 at a cost of £1,000: there are about 600 sittings.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.