Ashreigney or Rings-Ash, a parish in Devon, 4 miles WNW of Eggesford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 WSW of Chumleigh, which is the post town. Acreage, 5723; population, 639. The parish was a rendezvous of Fairfax in 1646, prior to his attack on Torrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £495. The church is an ancient structure of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low square tower; it was restored in 1889. The peal of bells was overhauled in 1891. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashreigney St. James|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashreigney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashreigney, or Ring's Ash (St. James))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Ashreigney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHayes
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.