Flatholm, an island in Uphill parish, Somerset, in Bristol Channel, 8 miles WNW of Uphill. It measures about I1-mile in circumference, has excellent pasturage for sheep, and is a resort of many visitors in summer. It consists of magnesian limestone, breaks down to the sea in low cliffs, lies on the axis of the Mendip hills, so as to be an outspur of them, and stands directly in the course of vessels going up or down the channel. A lighthouse is on its S point, erected in 1737, standing 164 feet high and showing an occulting light, visible at the distance of 18 miles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flatholm from the following: