Ashbury, anciently Essebury, a parish in Devon, on an affluent of the river Torridge, 5 miles SSW of Hatherleigh, with a station on the Okehampton and Holsworthy branch of the L. & S.W.R., 206 miles from London. Post town, Beaworthy, which is the money order office; telegraph office, at the railway station. Acreage, 1748; population, 69. The manor, with most of the property, belongs to the owner of Ashbury Court, a large old residence with fine views over Dartmoor. The living is a rectory, united with North Lew, in the diocese of Exeter; value, £500, in the gift of the Crown. The church is a small edifice, with nave, chancel, and tower. It was restored in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Ashbury from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Ashbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashbury (St. Mary))
Online maps of Ashbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.