Draycot, an ecclesiastical parish, in Cheddar and Stoke-Rodney parishes, Somerset, on the slope of the Mendip Hills, with a station on the G.W.R., 132 miles from London, 4 SE of Axhridge, 2 from Cheddar, and 6 from Wells. It has a post and money order office under Cheddar (R.S.O.); telegraph office at railway station. Population, 542. Draycot is remarkable as being a far healthier spot than any of the neighbouring villages. The air is remarkably dry, pure, and bracing. The old spelling of the hamlet was Dreicote, then Draycot. The ecclesiastical parish is known only as Draycot. When the railway was opened the spelling with two t's was adopted. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £268. Patron, alternately the Vicar of Cheddar and the Eector of Stoke-Rodney. The church was built in 1861 at a cost of £1500, consists of nave, chancel, and transept, with vestry and bell-turret, and is in the Early Decorated style. A handsome stone and open ironwork chancel screen was erected in 1894. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Draycot from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.