Downside (Midsomer Norton), Somerset
Downside, a chapelry in Midsomer-Norton parish, Somerset, 1 mile from Chilcompton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It was constituted in 1845. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Stratton-on-the-Fosse. Population, 621. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £174 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Midsomer-Norton. The church was built in 1838. There is a Wesleyan chapel. St Gregory's Monastery and College of the English Benedictine Congregation occupies a very pleasant position in a vale on the high road from Bath to Shepton Mallet. The college is a large and handsome building in the Gothic style, erected in the years 1823, 1856, and 1874. There is a spacious swimming bath and a good cricket ground for the students.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Midsomer Norton|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Downside (Midsomer Norton) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Downside)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.