Coxley, a tithing and a chapelry in St Cuthbert-Wells-Out parish, Somerset. The tithing lies 1 mile from Polsham station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and has a post office under Wells; money order and telegraph office, Wells. Population, 595. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and is more extensive than the tithing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £293 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of St Cuthbert's, Wells. The church is good. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Wells St Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coxley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coxley)
Online maps of Coxley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.