UK Genealogy Archives logo

Combe Down, Somerset

Historical Description

Combe-Down, a chapelry in Monckton-Combe parish, Somerset, near the G.W.R. and the river Avon, 2 miles S of Bath. It has a post and money order office under Bath; telegraph office, Widcombe. Population, 1—67. A hill, giving name to the place, is 550 feet high; commands an extensive prospect; yields Bath stone in large quarries; is pierced and cut with caverns and passages; and bears on its slope a pleasant little town, with villas, an inn, and the church, which was restored in 1884. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £117. Combe-English. See ENGLISH-COMBE. Combe-Fields or Combe-Abbey, a liberty and a parish in Warwickshire, near the Oxford Canal and the Fosse Way, 2 miles NW of Brinklow station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 E of Coventry. Post town, Coventry; money order and telegraph office, Brinklow. Acreage, 3720; population, 137. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1150 by Richard dc Camville, was given at the dissolution to the Earl of Warwick, and passed to Lord Harrington, and by purchase in 1616 to Sir William Craven, Lord Mayor of London and ancestor of the Earl of Craven. Combe Abbey, the Earl of Craven's seat, was built on the abbey ruins by Lord Harrington in the reign of Elizabeth, was enlarged in the 17th century, and rebuilt in 1864-66. It retains parts of the ancient cloisters in Norman architecture. It is surrounded by very extensive gardens, and stands in a park of about 500 acres which contains a large lake. There is a fine collection of pictures.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Maps

Online maps of Combe Down are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA2
Post TownBath