Alwington, a parish in Devon, on the river Yeo, 4½ miles SW by W of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. It contains the hamlets of Fairy-Cross, Ford, and Woodtown. Acreage, 2746; population, 348. There is a post office at Fairy-Cross; money order and telegraph office, Horn's Cross. The Coffin family have held the manor since the Conquest, and have a handsome residence on it called Portledge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £245. The church is a very ancient pile, with lofty pinnacled tower, and contains several monuments. Remains of an ancient chapel occur at Yeo vale, and there is a small Wesleyan chapel at Ford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alwington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alwington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alwington (St. Andrew))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Alwington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cFairy Cross
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.