Chesterblade, a chapelry in Evercreech parish, Somerset, 2 miles from Evercreech station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3½ ESE of Shcpton Mallet, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Evercreech. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Evercreech, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The Church of St Mary is a small stone building with Norman font and entrance arch. It was repaired in 1888. On an adjoining hill is situated a large encampment of Roman or pre-Roman times.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chesterblade from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chesterblade)
Online maps of Chesterblade are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.