Alphington, a village and a parish in Devonshire. the village is near the river Exe, 1½ mile S of Exeter station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It was one of the headquarters of Fairfax's army, in 1646, at the blockading of Exeter. The parish comprises 2736 acres; population, 1048. It has a post and money order office under Exeter; telegraph office, St Thomas, Exeter. The manor was acquired in the reign of Richard II. by the family of the Earl of Devon, and the greater part of it continues still in their possession. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £650. The church contains a Norman font with interlaced arches, scroll ornaments, and grotesque figures over the arches; has a red turreted tower in Perpendicular English; and was thoroughly restored in 1879. The Exeter Ship Canal passes through this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alphington St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alphington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alphington (St. Michael))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Alphington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.