UK Genealogy Archives logo

Chapel Cleeve, Somerset

Historical Description

Chapel Cleeve, a hamlet in Old Cleeve parish, Somerset, on the coast, 2 miles W of Watchet. A chapel here, dedicated to the Virgin, was much frequented in the Romish times by pilgrims, and the remnant of a cross for guiding them hither stands midway between Washford and Old Cleeve church.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Maps

Online maps of Chapel Cleeve are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWest Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA24
Post TownMinehead