Chantry, an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Whatley, Great Elm, and Mells, Somerset, 4½ miles SW from Frome station on the G.W.R. Post town, Frome. Population, 206. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £84. The church was built in 1846. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The manufacture of edge tools is carried on in this district.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Chantry are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.