Abbots-Kerswell or Abbots-Carswell, a parish in Devon, 2 miles S of Newton-Abbot station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1486; population, 431. The minerals comprise limestone, potter's clay, and alum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £276. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The ancient church was a cell of Montacute Abbey. The present church is a neat small edifice of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbot's Kerswell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Abbotskerswell from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Abbotskerswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kerswell, Abbot's (St. Mary))
Online maps of Abbotskerswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.