Boroughbridge, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Somersetshire, formed out of the following seven civil parishes in 1837, viz., Stoke St Gregory, Bridgewater, Lyng, Middlesoy, North Petherton, Othery, and Weston-Zoyland, on the junction of the rivers Parret and Tone, 2 miles from Athelney railway station, and 8 from Martock station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bridgewater; money order and telegraph office, North Curry. Population, 467. The church was built in 1838. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £306 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is good, and was restored in 1887. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boroughbridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Boroughbridge)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.