Winster, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, with a small town, in Derbyshire, 2½ miles WSW of Darley Dale railway station, and 4 W by N of Matlock. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Matlock Bath. Acreage of township, 1123; population, 840. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Some curious ancient British relics were found in barrows in 1768. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £206 with residence. Patrons, the parishioners. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1842, and restored in 1883. It is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, S aisle, and low tower, and has an ancient font. There are Wesleyan, Reformed Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a public hall, and a hydropathic establishment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winster from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winster)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Winster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: