Winshill, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Burton-upon-Trent parish, Derbyshire and Staffordshire. The township lies on the river Trent, 1½ mile ENE of Burton-upon-Trent, and has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Burton-upon-Trent. Acreage of the Derbyshire portion, 469; population, 108; of the Staffordshire portion, 642; population, 3644. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. There are a tape-mill and a corn-mill. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1867. Population, 3752. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £211 with residence. The church was erected in 1869, and is a handsome edifice situated on a hill. There are Free and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and almshonses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Burton upon Trent|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winshill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winshill)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: