Wingerworth, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, 2¾ miles S by W of Chesterfield station on the M.R., with a post office under Chesterfield; money order office, New Tupton; telegraph office, Hasland. The parish comprises the hamlets of Hockley, Nethermoor, Stubbing, and Swathwick. Acreage, 2958; population, 379. There is a parish council consisting of five members, and there are several stone quarries and coal mines in the neighbourhood. The manor, with Wingerworth Hall, belongs to the Hunloke family. Wingerworth Hall occupies the site of an ancient baronial mansion, which was garrisoned by the Parliamentarians in 1643. Stubbing Court is the seat of the Burkitt family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £215 with residence, which was built in 1881 at a cost of about £2000. Patron, the Bishop. The church is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and contains several monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wingerworth from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Wingerworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: