Willesley, a parish in Derbyshire, 1½ mile SSW of Ashby-de-la-Zouch station on the M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acreage, 808; population, 64. The manor, with Willesley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Loudoun. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £53, Patron, the Earl of Loudoun. The church consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower, contains some interesting monuments to the Hastings and Abney families, and was reseated in 1883 by the Earl of Loudoun.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willesley St. Thomas|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Ashby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willesley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Willesley (St. Thomas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: