Whittington, a parish in Derbyshire, with a station on the M.R, 2½ miles N by E of Chesterfield. It contains Old Whittington village, which has a post and money order office under Chesterfield, the parish church, two Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school. It also comprises New Whittington village, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield. Acreage, 1581; population, 8798. At the Old Revolution House, Old Whittington, several noblemen and others met in 1688 to plan or support the Revolution. There are collieries and ironworks. The living is a rectory, with New Whittington and Sheepbridge, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was destroyed by fire in 1895, but has since been rebuilt.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittington St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whittington (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: