Whitfield, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Glossop parish, Derbyshire. The village lies 1 mile S of Glossop station on the M.S. & L.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Glossop, under Manchester. The manor belongs to Lord Howard. There are cotton factories, bleach-works, and paper mills. The parish was constituted in 1845. Population, 9031. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £300 with residence. The church was built in 1846, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower, with a lofty spire. There are Congregational, Free Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitfield)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Whitfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: