Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire
Weston-upon-Trent, a parish in Derbyshire, on the river Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal, with a station on a branch of the M.R., 7 miles SE of Derby. Post town, Derby; money order office, Aston-on-Trent; telegraph office, at the railway station. Acreage, 1971; population, 322. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to the Holden family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £494 with residence. The church is ancient, and was thoroughly restored in 1877. It is in different, styles, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, S porch, and an embattled tower with octagonal spire. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weston-upon-Trent St. Mary|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Weston-on-Trent 1565-1812, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston upon Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weston-Upon-Trent (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: