West Hallam, Derbyshire
Hallam, West, a parish in Derbyshire, with a station on the G.N.R., on the Nutbrook Canal, 3 miles W by S of likes-ton, and 7 NE by E of Derby. It has a post and telegraph office under Derby; money order office, Ilkeston. Acreage, 1360; population, 564. The manor belongs to the Newdi-gate family. Coal is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £287 with residence. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with porch and embattled tower, and contains an ancient marble monument to the Powtrells, and was restored in 1855. A grammar school, founded in 1664, has an endowed income of £310, and other charities have £30.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Hallam St. Wilfrid|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at West Hallam 1638-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Hallam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hallam, West (St. Wilfrid))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of West Hallam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: