Middleton (Chirbury), Shropshire
Middleton, a township in Chirbury parish, Salop, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Church Stoke parish, Montgomeryshire. The township lies under Stapeley Hill, adjacent to Montgomeryshire, 6 miles E of Montgomery, and 7 NNW of Bishops Castle. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Priest Weston, Eorrington, and Wil-mington, and was constituted in 1850. Post town, Chirbury (R.S.O.) Population, 541. Stapeley Hill is crowned by an imperfect Druidical circle 120 feet in circuit, several of the stones of which are still standing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, .6188 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury. The church is a good edifice, with a bell-turret.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.