Wessington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Crich parish, Derbyshire, 1½ mile NW of Wingfield station on the M.R., and 3½ miles NW by W of Alfreton. There is a post office under Alfreton; money order office, South Wingfield; telegraph office, Higham. Acreage of the township, 973; population, 610. The inhabitants are employed in neighbouring collieries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £164 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Crich. The church is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Chipping Campden|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wessington from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Wessington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: