UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wensley and Snitterton, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Wensley and Snitterton, a township in Darley parish, Derbyshire, three quarters of a mile from Darley Dale station on the M.R., and 2 miles from Matlock. It forms the ecclesiastical parish of Cross Green or South Darley, and has a post and money order office under Matlock Bath; telegraph office, Two Dales. Acreage, 2007; population, 754. The parish is governed by a district council, and is separated from North Darley by the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £134 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Darley. The church was built in 1843, is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel added in 1886, and a nave and tower. There is a rich lead mine, and also a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: