Walton upon Trent, Derbyshire
Walton-upon-Trent, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, on The river Trent, adjacent to Barton and Walton station on the M.R., and 4½ miles SW by S of Burton. It has a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Barton-under-Needwood. Acreage, 2374; population, 434. Walton Hall is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £450 with residence. The church is Early English and Decorated, and was restored in 1862; it consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, S transept, and an embattled western tower. There is an endowed school with £26 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walton-On-Trent St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walton upon Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Walton-On-Trent (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: