Ketley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Wellington parish, Salop. The village stands on Watling Street, 2 miles ESE of Wellington, is inhabited chiefly by miners, and has a station on the Wellington and Severn Junction branch of the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Wellington; telegraph office, Hadley. The township includes the village, extends considerably into the country, and contains ironworks and coalpits. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1880; population, 2107. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1838 at the Duke of Sutherland's expense, is a cruciform structure, and stands on an eminence commanding extensive views over the surrounding plains, to the Wrekin and the Welsh mountains. There are Wesleyan, Primitive, and United Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ketley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ketley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.