Jackfield, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Broseley parish, Salop. The village stands on the right bank of the river Severn, 1 mile E by S of Ironbridge station on the Severn Valley branch of the G.W.R., and 1 NE of Broseley, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1862. Population, 1041. Bricks and tiles are extensively made, and ironstone is calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £130 with residence. The church was built in 1863 to the memory of Mr G. Pritchard, at a cost of £3000; is in the French Pointed style, of coloured bricks with stone dressings; is cruciform, and has a turret 75 feet high. There is also an older church, whose foundations have become insecure by mining operations.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Jackfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.