Ironbridge, a market-town, an ecclesiastical parish, and part of the civil parish of Madeley, in Salop. The town stands adjacent to the river Severn, 1 mile E of Coalbrookdale, and 6 miles SW of Wellington, and has a station on the Severn Valley branch of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The bridge, erected in 1779, was the lirst iron bridge known; has a span of 100½ feet, rises 40 feet, is 24 feet wide, and weighs 378½ tons. The town is a seat of petty sessions, and has a police station and a dispensary. The Madeley Union Workhouse is situated here. There are brick and tile works, maltings, and limeworks. A drinking fountain stands in the market-square. Markets are held on Fridays, and a fair on 29 May. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1845. Population, 2739. The living is a rectorv in the diocese of Hereford; net value,, £197 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Madeley. The church was erected in 1836. There are several dissenting chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.