Twyford and Stenson, Derbyshire
Twyford and Stenson, a chapelry and joint township in Barrow-upon-Trent parish, Derbyshire, on the river Trent, 2 miles E by N of Repton and Willington railway station, and 5¼ SSW of Derby. Post town, Derby; money order and telegraph office, Repton. Acreage, 1770; population, 178. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Crewe. The living is annexed to Barrow-upon-Trent. The church is old, and consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower with small spire, and contains memorials to the Harpurs and Bristowes. There are a Wesleyan chapel at Stenson and an endowed school at Twyford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twyford and Stenson from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Twyford)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: