UK Genealogy Archives logo

Turnditch, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Turnditch, a township and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derbyshire. The township lies 3¼ miles W of Belper, and 1 mile from Shottle station on the M.R., and has a post office under Derby; money order office, Idridgehay; telegraph office, Shottle (R.S.) Acreage, 812; population, 283. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Population, 319. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £92. Patron, the Vicar of Duffield. The church is ancient, consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and bell-turret, and contains an ancient octagonal font. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishDuffield 
HundredAppletree 
Poor Law unionBelper 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Turnditch from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Turnditch are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE56
Post TownBelper