Tupton, a township in North Wingfield parish, Derbyshire, 3 miles S of Chesterfield, and 1 mile from Clay Cross station on the M.R. It has a post office under Chesterfield; money order office, New Tupton; telegraph office, Clay Cross (R.S.) Acreage, 735; population, 1551. There are Free, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||North Wingfield|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tupton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tupton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Tupton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: