Frees, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands 5 miles S of Whitchnrch, and 5 NE by N of Wem, and has a station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitchurch. The parish contains also the townships of Darleston, Fauls, Mickley, Millenheath, Willaston, Calver-hall, Whixhall, Sandford, and Steele. Acreage, 13,743; population of the civil parish, 2841; of the ecclesiastical, 952. Calverhall, Fauls, and Whixhall are separate ecclesiastical parishes. The manor belongs to Viscount Hill. Prees Hall was the birthplace of General Viscount Hill, commander-in-chief 1828-1842. Clovering Hall and Sandford are other residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £470 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, was partly restored in 1864 and again in 1884, and contains monuments of the Hills. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.