UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tissington, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Tissington, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, 4 miles N of Ashborne station on the North Stafford railway. It has a post and money order office under Ashborne; telegraph office, Fenny Bentley. Acreage, 2307; population, 309. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor with Tissington Hall belonged to the Savages, passed to the Meynelles, the Clintons, the Corkaynes, and others, and belongs now to the baronet family of Fitzherbert. There is a cotton mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £96. The church is Norman, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and low western tower. There is a free endowed school.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Ecclesiastical parishTissington St. Mary 
HundredWirksworth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tissington from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Tissington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictDerbyshire Dales
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE6
Post TownAshbourne