Darleston, a township in Prees parish, Salop, 6 miles NE of Wem, on the river Tern, Darley or North Darley, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies on the river Der-went, which divides it from South Darley, 5 miles SE by S of Bakewell, and has a station on the M.R., and a post office, of the name of Darley Dale, under Matlock Bath; money order and telegraph office. Two Dales. The township is governed by a local board of twelve members. Area of township, 5142 acres, including 42 of water; population, 2179. Two Dales, Darley Moor, and Over Hackney are comprised in this parish. Darley Hall, Stancliffe Hall, and Sydnope Hall are the chief residences. Good sandstone is found, and there is a twine manufactory at Two Dales. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; value, £420 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church is an old building, and contains various interesting monuments, and several stained windows, one designed by Burne-Jones being the most remarkable. The church was restored in 1877 at a cost of over £3000, and in 1885 various alterations and improvements were made to the interior; the churchyard has a yew tree 32 feet in girth in a good state of preservation. There is also a Wesleyan chapel and a reading-room at Two Dales. The Whitworth Institute, with its extensive grounds, and an excellent cottage hospital containing 14 beds, have recently been erected by the legatees of the late Sir Joseph Whitworth, Bart., of Stancliffe.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Darleston from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.