Criftins, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Ellesmere parish, Salop, 1 mile NE of Frankton station on the Cambrian railway, and 2¼ miles NW of Ellesmere. Post town, Dudleston Heath, under Ellesmere. Population, 742. Dudleston Hall and Pentirheylin are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £80 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was erected in 1874. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Criftins are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.