Thorpe, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, on the river Dove, near Dovedale, 3½ miles N by W of Ashborne railway station. There is a nost office under Ashborne; money order office, Tissington; telegraph office, Fenny Bentley. Acreage, 1125; population, 198. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Fitzherbert. The scenery is romantic, and is much visited by tourists. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £111 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is old, and has a Norman tower. The chancel and nave were restored in 1881, when a vestry and organ chamber were built, and a new pulpit erected. A parish room was built in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorpe St. Leonard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thorpe (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Thorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: