Coalbrookdale or Colebrookdale, Shropshire
Coalbrookdale or Colebrookdale, a village and a township in Madeley parish, and an ecclesiastical parish in Made-ley and Dawley Magna parishes, Salop. The village stands in a narrow wooded glen, 1 mile W of Ironbridge, 2 miles W of Madeley, 3 SE by S of the Wrekin, and 5 S of Wellington. It has a station on the Wellington and Craven Arms branch of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It is on the edge of a mineral field of about 32 square miles, famous for variety of fossils and for output of coal and ironstone. The scenery along the glen and around its junction with the Severn and over the flanking heights, is very romantic. The Coalbrookdale Company have extensive ironworks, founded by Abraham Darby in 1709. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1851. Population, 1502. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £254 with residence. The church was built in 1854. There is a Wesleyan chapel and a Friends' meeting-house, a literary and scientific institute, and a school of art.
The parish register dates from the year 1852.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1854, on a site given by Mrs. Hy. Whitmore, daughter of the late Francis Darby esq. and situated in the midst of an amphitheatre of hills, on the richly-wooded slope of one of the loftiest of which it stands, is a building in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of eight bays, aisles, west porch and a massive embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing a clock with three dials and 8 bells: the stained east window was placed in 1900, as a memorial to the late Abraham Darby, founder of the church, and there are several other stained windows, one of which, representing "The Last Supper," is Flemish work of the 16th century; the church is seated with benches, with carved oak ends, and will hold 500 persons.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, rebuilt in 1886, of brick, and seating 200 persons.
Society of Friends
Friends meeting house
There is a Friends meeting house, built of of brick, with a burial ground attached.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.