Thornhill, a township in Hope parish, Derbyshire, 2 miles from Hope, and 5½ NE by N of Tideswell. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hope, under Sheffield. Acreage, 610; population, 123. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornhill from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Thornhill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: